Desperate To Brush The Lips Of Grey.



11 January 2011

John Called Roger

          Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. These are the first men approached by Jesus as He began his teaching. Why them, though? They were just common fishermen, doing an honest days work for little wage, and little honor. Maybe because they were curious, or because they had heard what John the Baptist had said? Maybe a bit of both. This question sticks out to me, and I know for sure that if I were in their position I'm sure I would be timid to drop my net and follow Jesus. I would feel unworthy and sickened by my sins. Next of these men to be disciples were James and John, brothers and sons of Zebedee. The seas must have been teeming with fish, because they, as well, were out fishing when Jesus called to them. They must have known what Andrew and his brother knew, because they left their dad in the boat and followed Jesus, too. I sometimes wish I had the thought pattern of these men, that I could be like they were. I envy that they could be clear minded enough to be followers of Jesus Christ. This I call myself to do, have a mind as the followers of Jesus did, to not wonder if I would feel comfortable being a disciple.

Matthew 4:18-22
18 One day Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee. There he saw two brothers. They were Simon Peter and his brother Andrew. They were throwing a net into the lake. They were fishermen. 19 "Come. Follow me," Jesus said. "I will make you fishers of people." 20 At once they left their nets and followed him. 21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers. They were James, son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee. As they were preparing their nets, Jesus called out to them. 22 Right away they left the boat and their father and followed Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment